Monday, April 29, 2013

1. Train and run a 5k

Have no fear, faithful readers, I have not fallen off the planet. Nor have I given up on this thing. I have diligently gotten my 3 runs in each week. I just completely Week 4 Day 3, so you know what that means??? Half way baby!

If you are not familiar with the Couch to 5k program, it is a gradual build of walking to running. The lady living in my ear buds tells me when to walk and when to run and she's mostly pretty nice about it. Until she makes me run more than I wanna. So far, my basic view is that I hate what I am doing, and longing for the previous week's "easier" run, which I guess means it's working.

This journey has been hard. As discussed earlier, I dislike running. I hate the breathing heaving, the nose running and most of all the shin pain. BUT despite all these challenges, I have made it to halfway point and I have to admit, I'm pretty freaking proud of that.

All whining aside, starting this in the spring is by far the best thing about it. My neighborhood smells like flowers which is so delightful. The air is cool enough that I don't feel like I am wearing a wet blanket but not so cold that my lungs feel like they are going freeze up. And 4 weeks into this thing, I am a lot less concerned with how I look when I run. Mostly, because I am focusing all of my energy on willing time to move faster so the fire in my shins will go out but that is totally besides the point.

When I started this, running more than a minute was tough and now I am up to 5. It's not huge, but I will take it and I'll just keep waiting for that great run I keep hearing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment