Wednesday, May 29, 2013

1. Train and run a 5k

So we meet again.

I haven't given up on this crap just yet. The blog or the list. But life gets in the way and the computer is ALLTHEWAYINTHEOTHERROOM. So sometimes, I get lazy and don't feel like writing. Don't take it personally.

I am on Week 6 Day 2. Again. Big accomplishment; did 20 minutes(almost) of straight running. And felt awesome about it. After this, I thought for sure that the next run, which was run 5, walk 3 run 8 walk 3 run 5 would have been a cake walk but it was rough. And then time slipped away. And then we went camping in West Virginia. And then some more excuses, yada yada yada. I hit maybe a run a week since that 20 minute straight run. And none of them were good. So I decided to restart Week 6 again this week.

I'd like to say that this fresh start  helped but running in 80* temps is making me struggle with the last leg of the run. I have tried to wait til like 8-8:30 when the sun goes down some but the air is still pretty heavy. I think on Friday, I am gonna give running in the AM a shot, hopefully that will help.

Tonight's run. Siggghhh. So, let's start with my irrational fear of the woods. Especially when I am alone. Last night, the husband and I ran in the woods by our house and it was wonderful. He is faster than me but knowing he was there puts my anxiety at bay.

Well, tonight I ran alone. And thought it was a good idea to take the same route we took last night. And as I enter the beautiful wooded area, I immediately start feeling like I am in a horror movie. I am literally looking behind me every few seconds worried I am being stalked by a serial killer. Of course, my pace has increased and by the time I get out of the woods I am struggling to catch my breath. This increase in adrenaline and speed basically had me crapped out for the rest of the run. Of the final 10 minutes, I only ran about 7.5.

I can honestly say that this program has given me a new found confidence in running that I have never had. I don't care how I look when I run anymore. My shin pain has decreased and my breathing has improved dramatically. Our 5k is only a few weeks away and I already feel like this is in my grasp more than ever before.

I'm pretty sure I still look silly when I run, I just don't care anymore:D

No comments:

Post a Comment