Monday, January 28, 2013

21. Go Offline for a weekend

I am excited to say I have crossed the first thing off my list. I went off the grid starting at 5pm on Friday and didn't get back on until Monday (today) at 5:30am (that is normal wake up time, I didn't specifically get up that early *just* to check my phone:) I scheduled my offline weekend for this weekend since I knew I would be out of the house both Friday and Saturday nights and it would be easier to avoid the interwebs whilst being social. It was not super easy cuz I definitely am quick to search the internet while watching tv or check Facebook obsessively.

I like lists, so here goes:

Things I discovered:
  • I think in status updates. I consider myself witty but apparently, it's only in a short form status update kind of way.
  •  It's much easier to put the phone down when I have a goal in mind. 
  •  It was nice to watch a movie uninterrupted at home. (This Means War was an adorable movie, btw)
  •  I fall asleep more quickly when watching tv without the constant stimulation of the interwebs on my mobile device.
  •  The world didn't stop without me.
  •  As much as I love to stay connected with friends on Facebook, they were still there after 60 hours without constant supervision.
  •  I am not as popular as I think I am. Only 15 notifications? Come on!
  •  I was entirely too nervous to leave the house without the phone even if it was off the in my bag the whole time. 
  •  The things I see that I need to look up RIGHTNOW are really not that important if I don't remember to look them up after a few hours.
  •  Social Networking is incredible for getting contact info for new friends without intrusively asking for someone's phone number.


Overall, I'd rate the experience with ... I should probably come with some kind of rating system, I suppose.... Meh. It was a good experience though I am glad to be plugged back into to the Matrix. Just call me Neo:)

No comments:

Post a Comment